BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, July 9, 2012

To Gastric Or Not to Gastric, THAT is the Question...

I have so many emotions flowing through my body right now I'm not even sure where to begin. Tomorrow I am having the Gastric Bypass Weight Loss Surgery. This has been my dream since 2007 and honestly, I can't believe it's ACTUALLY happening. Anthony and I are being picked up tonight by transport at 10P. We'll be arriving at Trinity Hospital in Augusta by 6A. I'm the first surgery of the day tomorrow at 7:30A and according to the surgeon will be done in 30-45 minutes. I am definitely staying ONE night in the hospital but I may have to stay TWO nights; I just don't know yet.

This is what my procedure looks like. My surgeon, Dr. Darren Glass of Trinity Bariatrics in Augusta, GA will make a small "pouch" out of the top of my stomach and then reconnect my intestines as shown in the picture. This has not been a decision I've made lightly. THERE IS NOTHING "EASY" ABOUT THIS PROCESS!! Can you imagine being 26 and being told you won't make it past 28? That is where I was just 3 years ago. My doctors in Orlando FAILED to diagnose me with Type 2 Diabetes. From my initial tests here once I moved to Savannah, GA it proved I had been severely diabetic for many, many years. In fact, they believe I developed Gestational Diabetes at 19 while I was pregnant with my son which only raged out of control. The consequence to that was more than DOUBLING IN SIZE. When I arrived here, I was almost 600lbs. I'm embarrassed to admit that, but it's true. Many of you know I had a wonderful job, new car, big & beautiful 5 bedroom/4 bathroom home in Orlando. But, I had gotten too ill to continue working as a caregiver which I'd done for 10 years. It was time for me to care for MYSELF. So I gave up my ENTIRE LIFE to chase this dream of having bariatric surgery in order to SAVE MY LIFE and in turn, save my SON'S life; I'm all he has. Fast forward to now: I currently weigh 371lbs. I take a gaggle of pills everyday to help control the many repercussions of uncontrolled diabetes. By the grace of God I'm hoping to be able to come off most, if not all, of these horrid medicines and insulin injections I subject myself to on a daily basis. Yes, there are risks with this surgery. But I won't live much longer if I don't do it. I'm betting on LIFE & GOD to help me successfully come out with a VICTORY. This is my motivation:
Here I am with my HANDSOME SON, Roman, about a month ago. I woke up that morning and got dressed. Looking in the mirror I thought I looked so good....until our local news anchor Kim Gusby snapped this pic of me. When I saw it I wanted to cry. I deeply appreciate how Roman loves me so purely and unconditionally...but I need to lose weight for him and for me. I don't want him being picked on and made fun of for having a fat mother. It's not fair to him. He doesn't deserve that. Roman deserves so much more. On the bright side, I will be turning 30 years old in about 6 months. My goal has always been to have turned my body around by that deadline. Thank God I'm well on my way. My 20's have been filled with hurt and insecurities. But my 30's will be filled with fun, hope and happiness. I honestly can't wait. Strap on your boots because we're gonna be in for one hell of a ride! I hope you enjoy watching me as I transform myself.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so proud of you & I hope this does everything you want and need it to do for your life....I turn 30 next year which is why i set out on this journey myself....keep up the good work & remember, this is not quick fix...you will have to still work hard and eat right so you dont go back but I know you can do it

Unknown said...

Oh yes, you're completely right! I am not one of those people who thinks it is a fix all! There is a lot of exercising and like you said hard work; that still needs to be done...this surgery is only a tool it cannot do the work for you. I have come too far to screw this up!! :-)